Here’s a quick way to test whether you understand what’s going on or whether you are still clueless like me.
There are three people on a bus going to the beach. One person says “Does anyone want a newspaper?”
The correct answer is:
- No, I’m fully up-to-speed with the day’s events already thanks.
- Yes, please. I’d like to check up on the opinions of the cognoscenti.
- There’s a purveyor of newsprint on the corner. Hold on a sec, I’ll get one for you.
During a telephone conversation, the caller says “We have no food in the house. You should pick something up for yourself and your daughter. Some chinese or something.”
The correct interpretation is:
- We have no food in the house. If you are hungry, you should pick up something you like. Make sure it’s something your daughter likes too.
- Your daughter is hungry. She likes chinese food. Please bring her some.
- Please bring me some chinese food.
I always get these questions wrong. I think I am missing an important component of comprehension. An X chromosome or something.